

My horse, Jack, has a tendency to drag his feet. He has tripped before with me riding him, but he's never actually fallen down until now. I had him at a fast lope when he tripped and went down, and once I hit the ground and realized that my leg was pinned under him, I thought for sure he was going to roll right over me, but luckily he was able to stop his momentum and stand up. Jack skinned his nose pretty good, and he's not stupid, because after that he started picking up his feet!
It's been a long time since I've had a good crash on a horse- the worst was when I was 14 and was bucked off and rolled my ankle. I've been thrown from horses since then- but nothing serious- just the wind knocked out of me.
I'm not nervous about getting on a horse again, but it does make me more aware of how dangerous horses can be. It's easy to forget that because I've been around horses so long, but this is a good wake up call that I still need to use caution when riding....especially when it comes to letting Sadie ride horses. For example, we were leading Sadie around on the horse and she was just holding the horn by herself and sometimes she would let go and throw her hands in the air and say "look at me, look at me!", and we just thought it was funny, but I really should be more careful, because one off step by the horse could mean her hitting the ground.
Sadie really likes horses, so it'll be interesting to see if she becomes my little cowgirl! But that thought kind of freaks me out! I've ridden lots of horses and have never been scared, but now that I have a daughter, the thought of her riding a horse is scary to me!

2 comments:
Ouch!! That does sound fun though riding again. I dont even remember the last time I did! Its a rare occurance now a days. I know what you mean about being afraid of the kids on horses. It scares me to death to put mine on them I'm a total wimp! wheelers or motorcycles I'm fine with but horses scare me for some reason! Thats exciting Sadie is potty trained! hooray for all of you! It opens up a whole new world it seems like!
Ow! That's scary! I'm glad you're ok! Don't feel too bad about the bruised legs! Mine look like I've been beaten most of the time. I barely bump something and I get huge bruises! When we moved, just from carrying boxes, I had bruises all over my arms and legs. Anyway, it is scary with kids. A good reminder!
Post a Comment