Friday, May 22, 2009

Veins

so I have varicose veins in my leg (the large, blue, ropey, wormy looking ones). crazy hu? I thought you had to be old to get those, but apparently not. In fact the doctor told me that anyone can get them and for no apparent reason, so I'm one of those lucky people. The veins on my left leg looked awful, and they were starting to get sore, so I did some research and found that insurance would pay to have them removed, so last Friday, I had the veins taken out of my leg and had a procedure done where the doctor inserted a catheter through my vein and then released something that caused my vein to melt and collapse. (the doctor explained it better than that.) I was awake for the whole thing! They just numbed my leg with a thousand shots. (well not a thousand, it was probably more like 15). After about the 8th or 9th shot, I started freaking out and honestly thought I was going to pass out, so they gave me another dose of Zanex, and soon after that I was in a much happier place :) After the procedure, Drew drove me home and I was in my other world for the rest of the day, but I was not at all in pain. In fact, I didn't need any pain medication. I was up and walking around just fine. They took all the bandages off on Monday, and I was surprised to see how black and blue and swollen my leg was, because I actually felt really good.  I would definitely recommend this to anyone that has varicose veins. I have some small ones on my right leg that I'm going to have removed also before they get worse. I seriously thought about posting a picture of my leg, but it's still pretty gross, so I'm posting a pretty picture of Sadie instead :) I can't tell if she's smelling the flower or trying to eat it. 

1 comment:

Jenn said...

That sounds painful! I'm glad it wasn't! And that's very good to know. I have nasty veiny legs too. Anyway, I'm glad you're doing well. Sadie is seriously too cute! I don't think I've ever seen a picture of her dirty or not matching though. My boys are always dirty!!